Re: Getting Back to the '74 Midget

To: Philip Hubbard <hubbard@idir.net>
Subject: Re: Getting Back to the '74 Midget
From: Rick/Carolyn <walters@mail.softcom.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 13:59:28 -0800
Hi Phillip

Wish you luck on your next project.  All the cars you mentioned are
reasonable.  The least expensive are the Spits.  It seems no one likes
them.  They are very hard to resell.  I kind of like the way they look,
but I've had my fill of Triumphs with my GT6.  Their electrical is even
worse then the Midgets of old.  This may be a car to consider, a GT6.
They are much faster then most cars, and were made to race 911's.

MGB's are comfortable to drive on a long trip, and parts are readily
available.  They are as difficult as a midget to assemble, but the
prices as of recently have doubled on the chrome bumper ones.  They are
a very nice car though.  Make sure it has an overdrive nefore you but
it.  That makes freeway driving a pleasure.

Lotus with their fibre bodies are hard to find uncracked.  They are also
very hard to find and parts are very expensive.  They are very neat to
drive.

Midgets you know.

Welders, I'll give you as much as I know.  Stick welding is almost
unsuitable cor auto applications.  It encompasses using a consumable
electrode inserted into a handle.  This is the most common type used in
the industrial world, ie. Chemical/Power plants.  It has a very good
penitration and bonding abillities.  It has many different
rods/electrode materials for diferent applications.

Mig, is a wire feed welder.  It has a spool of wire that feeds
automatically through the handle to the object.  There are many
different types of wire some with rosin some without.  Different
materials need different wire.  Migs use a gas supplied around the
electrode to aid in oxidation.  These are most used on autos for panel
repair.

Tig is a another type used in the industrail and comercial world for
wierd metals like Stainless Steel.

I'm sure someone will correct me on the above, so let me add this is
just my opinion.

Hope this helps

Rick

--
52 MGTD,Sparky    74 MGB, B-tris    76 XJ12 Coupe, Jacque
60 Bugeye, Puddles      58 MGA Coupe, Ruby