City Drive

Subject: City Drive
From: "Carufel Family" <carufel@funtv.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 18:02:56 -0800
Hey everybody!
    Today dad and brother and I set out on a drive around the city, mostly
in La Jolla for those of you in the know, and had a great time. I saw four
MGs!!! The first was on the way to Kragen to pick up three inches of fuel
hose for my go kart. It was blue and in OK condition...just drove by at a
stoplight. The next came as we were driving old highway 101..passing some
restaurants in LJ and saw a reddish MGB in one of the parking lots. Ahh, but
the next few were most interesting....We were driving  through some
residential alleys about a block from the beach and passed a side alley with
a green MKII MGB... I begged dad to turn around so we did and went to look
at the car. It is a pretty funny MGB, with a Leer hardtop (looks similar to
the aftermarket ones with the squared rear edge) and the bonnet had
horizontal fins....there must be a V8 under there, but it is definitely not
factory. It looks to be about '68, because of the rounded taillamps but the
fact that it has reversing lamps. The car was recently painted but rust is
'draining' from the side trim. The body however, does not appear to be
affected. There is a crude rubber skirt on the front valance, and the car is
a bit lowered. I can't remember if there are wire wheels or what. Anyways,
the car looked in need of a good home but there was'nt a for sale
sign...Maybe he would be asking under a grand (about all I can afford now)
:-). The last, an MGA, we saw at the Torrey Pines Glider Port. We were
making the circut of the field and in one of the dirt parking lots saw a
silver MGA. It was in need of a very good home, and had the most bondo I
have ever seen on a car. A 1959 MGA 1500, by the looks of it (and what the
owner said). The car was a pretty well (considering the paint) spray canned
job, and the wheels (wires) were just sprayed over...even the valve stems
were silver. The dash had a few traces of silver on it, but that was about
it :-). The owner said I just missed another hang glider guy with a 'B, who
is a member of the San Diego MG Club...hmmm...i guess I better go look up
his name...

All in all a good day although right as we pulled up to the port to watch
the glider takeoffs it started to rain...

Thanks for reading.....

ben carufel