Alternator light

To: "MG's" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternator light
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 20:47:58 -0400
Kathy -

About 2 years ago, while disconnecting the wiring harness to the alternator
on my '76 B, I broke a diode that some PO had soldered on the brown/yellow
lead (I think).  ' Checked the wiring diagram in Haynes - no diode in the
original setup, so I spliced the lead back together without it.  Ever
since, my alternatorlight has the same soft glow you describe.
Mechanic-friend of mine told me there was some sort of electrical
"leak" or backfeed in these cars - which many dealers fixed with the
addition of the diode.  I was cautious for a few days; I didn't have time
to get a new diode and put it in.  Well, days turned into weeks, into
months...

Well, I never replaced the diode.  Frankly the battery is older than dirt
and despite 2 years of electrical "leakage"since the diode broke it still
hasn't discharged .  What's more, I've grown dependent on that soft-glowing
light.  For example, I had an intermittent bullet connector on my brake
light circuit.  Upon fixing it - I now have an "indicator light" that
assures me that indeed my brake lights are working!  As are my back-up
lights, turn signals, and auxiliary driving lights.  I was perplexed by the
gentle flickering in that alternator light for awhile - until I realized
that was caused by the fuel pump.  If the light ever quits flickering, I'll
anticipate engine failure in a few seconds and I'll know why.  I say, leave
it - this is one of the handiest features on your MGB, and next to your oil
pressure gauge, it is your most useful instrument.

Having said that, I hope the cause of your's is the same as mine!

Allen