RE: Alternator light

To: "MG's" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alternator light
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:33:16 -0800
>  I have a '70B and the alternator light comes on whenever I turn more than
> one thing on, i.e. headlights and turn signal.  It's dim enough that you
> can't see it during the day, only at night, but gets brighter the more
> things you turn on.  Thinking it was the alternator, I replaced
> that, but it
> still does the same thing.  It has a brand new battery in it so
> it shouldn't
> be that.  Someone said it was the voltage stabilizer....I'm game for that,
> but I don't know where it's located to check it or replace it.

Yeah, mine does that too...

I am not really worried about it.  It only comes on when the headlamps and
heater fan are on (and only at night when you can see it).  I have recently
replaced the alternator for another reason (it seized up), and I had the
problem before and after the switch.  I have 2 6v batteries, don't know how
old they are but they hold a good charge and never need topping up.

I think the voltage stabiliser is inside the alternator for that year
(someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong), so it gets renewed with the
alternator itself.

Don't sweat it.

Andy
--