Re: TD battery question

To: Steven Tritle <stritle@epix.net>
Subject: Re: TD battery question
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:50:43 -0600
Steve,

Drying out cells was very common with older battery technology from before
the 80's (maybe 70's) This is a normal process of the chemical reaction that
occurs during the charge cycle. Even though it doesn't draw a noticable
amount of current, the act of keeping the batteries at 13.5 to 14.5 volts or
so, causes it to dry out. I think the byproducts are hydrogen gas and oxygen
but don't quote me.  I'm too lazy to get to the reference book. These gasses
are released to the atmosphere thru the cell cover or cap. Today's batteries
have a venting system that allows these gasses to recombine and return to
the electrolyte in the cell. That is unless there is excessive overvoltage.
In which case, the gasses produced are too much to recombine and do vent to
the atmosphere.

All that being said, if the batteries that you have are true reproductions,
then you have 1950's technology. You must maintain the batteries like you
were in th 50's. Every fuel fillup, check the battery fluid when you check
the oil. And don't add anything but distilled water. tap water carries too
many impurities that will short out the cells if added to often. These do
not disappear with the water loss but build up in concentration. A nice
Lucas battery filler would be appropriate here.

If the batteries are just visual reproductions and have the better caps (
and internal chemistry), then I would check the v-regulator to be within
specification.

Either way, adjust the regulator for the low side of the acceptable range.
This should significantly reduce the water loss.

Chuck