Re: New MG Magnette??

To: mgworld@chp.ltd.uk
Subject: Re: New MG Magnette??
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:33:43 EST
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:16:42 +0000 Philip Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
writes:
>Rumours are flying around the new Rover 75 (a superb car, BTW) will be
>
>badged as an MG Magnette in the USA. Ummm...
>
>I can see the reasoning - Rover has a bad name in the US, but IMHO it
>would be a shame to see Rover reverting to the days of badge
>engineering.
>
>If I hear any more, I'll let you all know.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Philip Raby
>Editor, MG World, PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
>Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361 www.chp.ltd.uk

I think i disagree here Phil - whilst badge engineering isn't much of an
alternative, introducing an MG of this type back to the states could
solve a couple of problems.
1) the MG/Rover dealership network problems would HAVE to be solved -
there are still dealers waiting to sue somebody for transgressions 18
years ago compounded by the horrible Sterling debacle in the eighties -
I've always thought these arguments were a major obstacle to MGs
reintroduction - and it would be interesting to see if they chose to
honour old "contracts" or use the BMW network - either way, there would
have to be resolution
2)Whilst there are myriad enthusiasts for the marque "keepin 'em on the
road"
there are probably as many "closet" MG freaks who enjoyed the cars in
their youth but havnt owned one for years - and wouldnt want the same car
now having aged more gracefully than the hard core (us! haha) and now
prefer to place their expanding backsides and expanded families into the
copious  seats of a sedan! - A new roadster isnt going to attract these
folk but a rebadged 75 might well - after all it wouldnt be a rebadged
car here!
3)Any reintroduction of an /mg into the US market would lead to renewed
awareness of the marque both for new car buyers and enthusiasts -
especially if the model was a good vehicle to start with - who knows who
we would draw out of the woodwork!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT