Hooray for me

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hooray for me
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:30:18 -0800
Hi all,

well, I just spent a productive afternoon setting my valve clearances.  Some
were a bit off, but I don't know how long it was since they were last
checked.  Anywy, it idles much smoother and runs very nicely thank you.  I'm
really pleased.

I checked my timing, and it's spot on (according to Bentley: 18GH engine,
vac. blocked, 1000rpm 20degrees. My engine no 18GH-WE-H 539 ), but I do get
a little pinking on acceleration sometimes, so I'm going to retard it a
little (I only ran it for 10 minutes after it warmed up, so a little longer
I think to see how often it pinks).

Of course I expect it to misbehave tomorrow, but today it's fine.

Next step: carburettor rebuild.  I keep saying I'm going to do this, but all
the books say there's no point fiddling with the carbs until
1) The plugs are gapped correctly and the wires, cap and rotor are sound.
2) The timing is correct
3) The valve clearances are correct

So, now I have all three, but there's still no point in adjusting the carbs
until I rebuild them.  I priced up the Mo$$ parts and decided I could spend
up to $200 on parts and probably $50 having them reamed for oversize shafts
(no comments on getting reamed, please!).  I did mention earlier to the list
that I had bought a gasket set for $12 per carb.  They went back as there
was a piece missing.  The local parts place lists a rebuild kit for $27 per
carb.  The interesting thing is that they list a Front and a Rear kit, so I
will see if I can source them.  They are made by Beck/Arnley (BWC), and here
are the part numbers:

Minor carb kit  162-9604 $15.56
Major carb kit F        161-8065 $26.72 (does not include needle)
Major carb kit R        161-8073 $26.72 (does not include needle)
Carb base gasket        039-6136 $2.49

I will call BWC and ask for technical details of the kit.  More news as it's
made.

Andy
--
'69 B vroom