Answer 78 MGB engine size and number

To: "'MGB'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Answer 78 MGB engine size and number
From: Tom Emmons <tom@emmons.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 22:47:21 -0600
Thanks all.  Except for a few harsh attitudes out there I'm on the right
track now.  Some of us  don't know it all.

    I got a look at the engine.  It does in fact say 1800.  I was told by a
friend he thought it was a 1.1 with the cylinder ratio readings we were
getting when doing some compression tests.  Neither of us was sure what we
were doing any way.   I guess I am in for a lot of learning.  Its kind of
fun to learn more about these cars.  Any way I have the number off the
block and I see from past posts that there is a way to tell if it is
original or not.  What do I need to find this out?  I got the number off
the passenger side of the engine block.  It is 18V883AELG25853 it looks
like.  Can some one guide me some more thanks.