3-synchro OD tranny prob

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 3-synchro OD tranny prob
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:17:45 +0000
Hi all,

About 5K miles ago, I put a fresh engine and rebuilt 3-synchro OD tranny in my
daily driver '67 B.  Since I don't speak tranny (I know, I should) I had someone
else rebuild it.  For all these miles, I've had trouble putting the car into
first.  With the car at a dead stop, occasionally, the gear shift lever
absolutely will not go into first.  There's no grinding, no bearing noises, no
noises at all, it just won't go beyond neutral as if it's hitting a wall.  I can
sit there, putting it into second and then trying to put it into first, over and
over and over and then suddenly it will go into gear.  Sometimes I get
aggravated and force it.

This is getting embarassing.  I've suffered with this thinking that something
would break in, but it seems to be getting worse.  It occurred to me today that
the assembled wisdom of the list might have the answer.  I hope it's a simple
linkage-related answer.  Any ideas?

In case anyone remembers this, the consensus on the list seems to be that the
project '67 B has 124K miles on it.  Barney is right that a pedal that badly
worn couldn't have as few as 24K on it.  The new parts must have been installed
by the PO, as hard as it is for me to believe that.

Thanks for all help, past present and future.  I've learned a lot from reading
this list.

Denise Thorpe