MGB weak spark or the little engine that could...not start!

To: "'MG NUTS'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB weak spark or the little engine that could...not start!
From: Edwin Vaughan <vaughme@mail.auburn.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:36:18 -0600 (CST)
Hello All,

My '77B will not start. It turns over, has good compression, the fuel pump
is pumpin', the carb is receiving the fuel, and my coil is receiving
the 12 V from the battery, though I don't know if it is stepping it
up or not. It wants to start, its trying. However, while checking the
spark I noticed it was quite week. My trusty Haynes manual stated that a
wet distributor could cause this. My heater-water valve does leak. Has
anyone else had trouble starting their MG and find a leaky
heater-water valve, which had soaked the distributor, to be the culprit?

TIA

Edwin

"I try to think but nuthin' happens"         http://www.auburn.edu/~vaughme
               -- Curly (the stooge)