Re: MGB weak spark or the little engine that could...not start!

To: vaughme@mail.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: MGB weak spark or the little engine that could...not start!
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:34:44 EST
Edwin,
  That heater valve is a miserable piece of engineering. If it ever shows
any signs of leaking, it will leak worse when you are driving, the engine
is hot and there is pressure in the cooling system that sprays water down
onto the distributor.  I don't think there is  a repair to them; just
replace. It's easy.
  If the distributor has been moistened at all, there is probably
condensation inside the cap. Dry it out with clean dry cloths. Mop up
water in the distributor base with Q-tips, then spray a little WD 40 down
inside, having first masked off the points against overspray.  Then set
the points again and time the engine.
  I've had the valves let go on me twice. Once I had warning; the second
was an embarassing surprise.
Bob