Re: 77MGB will not start...different than the little engine that couldn'

To: "Tom McLaughlin" <tmcl98@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 77MGB will not start...different than the little engine that couldn't
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:35:33 -0000
Did you check the king lead as well?  Last time I had no spark that was it,
led me to substitute the coil and all sorts.  With electronic ignition the
best thing to do is to temporarily revert to a points system to at least
check out the coil, distributor, leads etc.

If you can't fully revert but can lay your hands on a points capacitor, then
you could try disconnecting all the electronics from the coil, connecting
12v to the +ve and the capacitor from the -ve to ground, then alternately
short and un-short the capacitor.  This simulates a points system and,
although the car won't run, you should be able to check for a spark from the
coil.

PaulH.