Re: OD Theories

To: john.kahoon@juno.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OD Theories
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:22:30 EST
Another thing that I cannot discount is what I heard the yard person at an MG
junkyard here in the Dallas area about 13 years ago when I first got my '73
MGB.

I was frequenting this place as I first got my car into a daily driver,
reliable mode. The person at the MG junkyard (they had a couple of hundred
MGB's) looked at my B and said that I had a very good year car, "not too old"
(it had syncro 1st gear and many refinements) and "not too new" (still had
dual carbs and not so much emission stuff). Then he asked me if I had OD, I
said no. He told me that was probably just as well, "we sell a lot of OD
transmissions to replace ones that quit working properly, but can't hardly
give the standard ones away because they seldom fail unless you don't keep
lubrication in them".

Well, I felt pretty good after that comment, because I had simply bought the
first MGB that I came across.

As I mentioned, that was 13 years ago and although I have had the engine out
three times (clutches, engine overhaul, throw-out bearings, adding A/C, etc,),
I have never been into that transmission. And comparatived to the two Midgets
I have, both of them (a 76 and '79) have had transmission problems.

R. Johnson - Dallas