Re: Commuting via MGB -Day1

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Commuting via MGB -Day1
From: Rick Brown <mgrick@ptd.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 20:59:52 -0500
Bud Krueger wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
>      Well, today was the day  -- The (still without a name) '77B covered the
> Plymouth MA to Cambridge MA, 83 miles r/t, for the first time.  I am very
> pleased to say that it was a very uneventful trip.  One of the greatest
>problems
> occurred last night when I was faced with the problem of what tools, etc., to
> take along -- just in case!  I'm lucky that the rear springs are decent or the
> tailpipe would have been dragging.  Happy to say that I didn't need a one.
>
>      Main problem was with the #$%^& SUV folks who like to tailgate with their
> danged high-mounted headlights right in the mirror. (The commute starts at
>5:15
> am). Anyone know where I can find a flipdown filter to use on the rearview
> mirror?  Back in the 50's (yah, I'm an OF) they sold small prisms on suction
> cups that could be attached to the windshield so that you could see overhead
> traffic lights.  Has anybody seem them lately?
> In a couple of weeks time I'll remove the Parrish hardtop and reinstall the
> 'hood'.  I can hardly wait for that day.  I'm not about to do it now, it's
> supposed to rain for the rest of the week. I'll get to see first hand all
>those
> leaky areas that you folks have been cusssin' about.
>
>  It'll be interesting to see what the gas mileage will be.  I have a 1 mile
> warm-up run from the house to the expressway, then about 30 miles at 65 mph
> followed by about 6 miles at 50 mph and finishing with about 3 miles of city
> traffic (light at 6 am).  As long as I can get two full days per tank plus a
> healthy reserve, I'll be happy.
>
> BTW, I unloaded most of the tools, etc., tonight.
>
> Bud Krueger
> 52TD (he was out Saturday)
> 77MGB

Welcome to the club Bud - the club being those of us who use their
B's and Midgets for the daily commute -  Although I dont travel as
far as you do - only about 15 miles each way (then a bus for 50 miles).

My B has only broken down once in the last two years - 5 am the heater
hose broke and i lost all my anti- freeze.

Good Luck but dont take out all those tools - you never know!

Rick
<http://home.ptd.net/~mgrick/council.htm>
<http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/9945>