Way Too Much Advance, But Runs Great

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Way Too Much Advance, But Runs Great
From: Rich Peterson <kerry3@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 21:27:51 -0500
Ok, I don't want to start this thread all over again, but I recently ran
across a vehicle (non-MG) which runs like poop with the timing set to
stock, but runs like a scalded cat (don't go there!!!) with about 40
degrees of advance (with the ALDL grounded of course).  The electronic
advance circuit and all associated sensors are in perfect working
order.  So what gives.  Is the crank pulley timing mark not aligned
properly, is the dizzy off by a tooth (can't see how that would do it,
but  . . .) I'd pull #1 plug to check the timing mark with TDC, but this
particular vehicle doesn't allow that without major surgery.  Thanks to
some earlier discussion on this list, I was able to get it running
pretty well by setting the timing with a vacuum gauge and my ear, but
inquiring minds want to know.

Rich P.