vin and engine number help

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: vin and engine number help
From: CamaroLee@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 23:55:50 EST
Hi all,

I have been lurking in the list for about a month now, and I am glad to see
that the list is active and informative (for the most part)  :).   I have a
couple of questions to ask.

My wife and I purchased a 1970 MGB last year for her to drive.   Ended up I
drove it more than she did.   They are a fun car to drive and looking forward
to getting it on the road again.

I have some interesting numbers on it.  Here is the car number:
GHN5UA187207G      According to the Moss Motors catalog, the 70 model year
numbers started with 187211.  Is this something like a preproduction '70?  It
has an aluminum bonnet and the top frame is the pull off type, not the fold
down type.

The engine number is 18GD-WE-H22510     The 'D' in the number is crooked, and
has an inward relief, like someone took a stamp and hit it with a hammer.
What year is this motor?   Is it a '63 engine that someone tried to restamp
for some strange reason?   The Carb number is AUD 52 F

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Erin Lee
Columbus, OH