Brake master cylinder $36 Advanced Auto rebuild

To: MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake master cylinder $36 Advanced Auto rebuild
From: Ray Wygonik <rwygonik@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 12:55:26 -0500
Today I picked up a remanufacturered master cylinder at Advanced Auto for
$35.99 plus a $15 core charge.  (74 MGB)

This seems far too cheap and I am worried about putting in a piece of junk.
(It is a Lockheed OEM cylinder).  How does that price compare to other
rebuild/remanufacturered prices?

I am tempted to pull the piston to take a look at the cylinder wall.  The
piston on the remanufacturered one shows a little wear.   the piston on my
existing (leaking) one is smoother and shineery.  The remanufacturered one
did not include a  new rubber boot.

I started to rebuild mine.  It has a few small marks on the cylinder wall.
I tried to buff/ sand them out with some 2000 grit paper on a small drum,
followed by some white rouge.  Only partially successful.  I figured
remanufacturered ones are honed or machined better than I could do makeshift
in my garage. Now I am wondering.  Anybody know?  I don't know whether to
chance the Advanced Auto $36 rebuild or my own rebuild.   If they were
easier to get in and out of the car I wouldn't worry, but they are a pain in
the ass to remove and replace, not to mention the fluid leaking on your
shoes and destroying the new paint.

Even if I use the remanufacturered one, for the price of the $15 core charge
and the fact I already had a rebuild kit in my parts stash, I'll still
rebuild my existing one and put it on the shelf for later use.