MGA Wheel Bearings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA Wheel Bearings
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 11:44:23 EST
<< I've got
SKF numbers (from the A-Antics Tech Tips book), but what about the
Fafnir bearing?  Should I go with them or the SKF?  And if you use the
sealed type bearing, just what is the point of the oil seal, except for
use as a spacer?  >>
Any information/suggestion welcomed.
Bill>>

Well, first, the seal doesn't sit in compression as an element of the
hub/bearing assembly, as best I recall, and could be left out if you had
really sealed bearings.
The Fafnir (wonderfully Wagnerian, isn't it?) sealed bearings may or may not
stand up as well, and whether you use them may depend on whether you can
locate the SKF originals. My preference would be for the SKF, as they can have
a positive swamp of grease between them in the hub, which has to better the
chances of some of it being in the bearing when you need it, over the Fafnir
sealed approach, where the grease is there unless the seals fail in which case
it isn't any more.
It may not make much difference in reality.
The whole thing reminded me of the good old days when T series racers would
disassemble their hubs before a race, wash the bearings, and put just enough
of a smear of lighter than normal grease in to last (hopefully) the race. The
cars were so close together that such matters were important, at least in the
minds of the racers, anyway. Personally, I think one less flapjack for
breakfast would have about the same effect on lap times. Guess we could ask
the Formula V racers - can't get racing much closer than they used to have.

And now I must go and drag my Mk2 MGA Coupe from storage to prepare it for the
possibility of going to Tahoe. I say possibility, not because I am not sure if
I am going, (I have booked the hotel, and _WILL_ get around to sending in my
entry, I promise), but because the friend that I am going with will be
trailering down, and is trying to tempt me to do the same.
If I trailer, that takes away one of the arguments for not taking the race car
(the other is that the engine is in the garage and needs installing in the
car, but that would have to be done anyway if I want to race this year).
We shall see. Decisions, decisions.

Bill Spohn