Re: FW: Update for New Virus

To: Sam Clifford <sam@reedmfginc.com>
Subject: Re: FW: Update for New Virus
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 01:19:54 +0510
Sam Clifford wrote:

> Subject:        FW: Update for New Virus
>
> If you receive an email titled "It Takes Guts to Say 'Jesus'" DO NOT
> open it. It will erase everything on your hard drive. Forward this
> letter out to as many people as you can. This is a new, very malicious
> virus and not many people know about it. This information was
> announced yesterday morning from IBM; please share it with everyone
> that might access the Internet. Once again, pass this along to
> EVERYONE in your address book so that this may be stopped. Also, do
> not open or even look at any mai
> Immediately delete any mail items that say this.
> AOL has said th at this is a very dangerous virus and that there is NO
> remedy for it.

OK, for once I am going to break my rule and respond to this type of
notice.

This is a lie.  A total fabrication that cannot possibly be true.  This
is itself, in fact, a virus of sorts because people forward it widely
taking up massive bandwith.

Please DO NOT forward this type of notice to ANYONE.  Reading e-mail
CANNOT harm you or your computer.  Viri can only harm you if you run
attached executables (or open attached WORD documents - Word Macro
Virus).

There - I have done it!

Eric