Re: Seat cover kits vs. upholstery shop

To: Carl French <cfrench@cybertours.com>,
Subject: Re: Seat cover kits vs. upholstery shop
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 12:01:17
At 06:18 AM 3/8/99 -0500, Carl French wrote:
>I remember a discussion earlier this winter about seat foams. It was
mentioned that the foams from VB were of poor quality and needed triming to
fit. The ones from Moss were properly fitted and 'handed'.

That was me.  That comment was concerning MGA seat foams in particular, and
I don't have any experience with MGB seat parts.  However, I am
significantly dissatisfied with the parts quality from VB in general,
especially when they continue to ship parts that are obviously ill fitting,
the improper (substitute) part for the application, and occasionally
mispackaged parts that have to be returned.

I can understand the need to have SOME parts available, maybe even inexact
substitutes as opposed to NOTHING available, if there are actually no
original style parts available.  But it rubs me totally the wrong way when
other vendors seem to be able to get it right but VB still supplies
inferior merchandise.  Their idea of saving a little on cost at their end
is not my idea of of good replacement parts.  I haven't had much luck there
with parts for my MGA.  And of course their technical expertice is
non-existant, so don't bother calling them to ask questions, even about
parts they have already shipped.

$.02,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA