Re: Bad Chrome & Moss Rant

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bad Chrome & Moss Rant
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:23:53 -0800
I think several people have hit it on the head about why we can only get
cheap chrome repro parts.  I bought a Moss rear bumper and over-riders a
couple of months ago, and have noticed that pits are starting to form.  I
admit that my car is no hanger queen, and I live on the coast and drive in
the California rain, but this has to be some sort of record.  This isn't an
unusual occurrence, though.  I remember buying a repro Talbot mirror from
Seven several years ago that pitted down to the zinc while sitting for a
year inside a dry garage waiting for an engine rebuild.

My understanding of the chroming process is that the key to a good job is
good prep work--polishing out minute imperfections, bathing the parts in a
number of solutions, flash plating the steel with copper and nickel as a
basis for the chrome.  Any shortcut can lead to a poor job.

Most buyers may not be willing to spring for high quality, but it would be
great if there were sources for those who do.  My bumpers were bent beyond
salvation, and re chroming wasn't an option.  What I would have liked was
to have a choice.   Part of the problem with Moss and with the other
mail-order suppliers is that these parts are commodities, not brand-named
parts.  Same problem with springs--Moss gets things from numerous unnamed
suppliers based on price and availability.  I can't  find out from them if
something came from ABC Widget Works in Taipei or DEF in Manchester.  They
may have stock from both on their shelves.  I would support something like
the way body panels are marketed--something like the choice between generic
aftermarket bits or genuine Rover.

Chris Attias
'64 MGB (with Swiss-cheesey bits)