Re: Oil Cooling

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Cooling
From: Albert F Jones <fisher@hctc.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 11:27:52 -0600
Hello Bill,

        I guess that I am one of the 'poor schmucks in Texas'.  I think that Jim
has some valid points, especially about keeping the radiator clean.  What
he says might be true in Maine or Connecticut or North Dakota, but it sure
doesn't in the Texas Hill Country.  And, yes, I do have an oil temperature
gauge in our daily driver, as well as an oil cooler.  There might be three
weeks a year when we are concerned about getting the oil up to temperature.
 Have you ever noticed how race cars tape up certain openings if the
weather is cool?  If I worry about the cool oil temperature, I can always
cover the cooler.  I am more concerned about being stuck in bumper to
bumper San Antonio traffic and watching the oil temp. and water temp. race
each other to the peg, although I don't usually have a problem.  It is my
contention that with a properly maintained vehicle, with the appropriate
aids to pinpointing problems, this shouldn't really be a concern.

        The bottom line is that, living where we do, with the driving that we do
(my wife has a h-e-a-v-y right foot, and does drive hard) we would be
foolish to run without an oil cooler.

        Don't you think that the main reason that the later model Bs were not
equiped with oil coolers was purely economic, and had nothing to do with
the operation or efficiency of the engine?

Fisher Jones
Comfort, TX