Re: Alternator question

To: "John Trindle" <johnt@tsquare.com>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator question
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:12:53 -0500
On 3/13/99 7:32 AM so and so (John Trindle) said. (And I quote:)

>On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Larry Macy wrote:

>> I suspect I need a new Alt. Please give me another option. My Midget has
>> become my only form of transportation and I need to get this fixed quick.
>
>I'm afraid I agree.
>
>It's possible that the failure is in the diode rectifier pack, but since
>that is inside the alternator, the easiest thing to do (especially if you
>don't have other alternaters with, say, bearing failure instead of
>electrical failure lying around) is to replace the alternator.
>
>When my B alternator went out, it was a bad solder joint on *one* of the
>diodes in the rectifier pack... so I was getting only some of the
>rectified waveform (hence, less charging). We had access to a pile of dead
>alternators and were about to find a diode pack which was good, and
>swapped the good parts all into one unit.
>
>The regular interval is puzzling, though.  Oh, does this happen with the
>headlights *off*?
As of Friday - Yes. Today I am going to try the cheap fix and just get a
fan belt (I noticed the beginning of a pronounced squeel driving home on
Fri). Drive for a while and if it persists get an Alt. Some one suggested
a Bosch alt for a Ford Fiesta bolts in. Anyone  have any experience with
this?

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?