Re: Alternator question

To: "Larry Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>,
Subject: Re: Alternator question
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:24:20 -0500
On 3/13/99 1:12 PM so and so (Larry Macy) said. (And I quote:)

>As of Friday - Yes. Today I am going to try the cheap fix and just get a
>fan belt (I noticed the beginning of a pronounced squeel driving home on
>Fri). Drive for a while and if it persists get an Alt. Some one suggested
>a Bosch alt for a Ford Fiesta bolts in. Anyone  have any experience with
>this?
>
>Larry Macy
>78 Midget
Well I went and got a belt. When I got to putting it in I realized that
when I had it tuned up prior to the move in OCT, they (whom shall remain
nameless) put 15445 Dynco belt on. This belt is a little long and I had
no adjustment left to further tighten it. I got a 15440 and put it on.
Now the reason the longer belt was put on was they had installed new plug
wires with the right angle attachment. The longer belt allowed the alt to
clear the plug wire by a fairly substantial gap. The shorter belt put the
plug wire right next to the plastic cover on the back of the alt. Not
quite touching - but pretty close. I will try it like this for a while
and see if it makes a difference. I am a little concerned about the spark
jumping from the right angle of the wire to the alt, but the right angle
doofadget is insulated and is only near the plastic cove on the alt, so I
think I am reasonably safe.

I'll let ya know.

Larry Macy
78 MIdget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?