Choke troubles

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Choke troubles
From: "Allen Shaffer" <shaffer.2@osu.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:11:08 -0500
Many thanks to the listers who replied to my post a few weeks back...ALL of
the lights are now blazing forth!

Here's today's problem. Emboldened by that success, I decided to install the
manual choke conversion kit. The car has never started without lots of
cranking, stays at fast idle too long, but runs fine in all other respects.
I thought that the control portion of the auto choke had failed, and that
converting to manual would "fix" things.... especially since there was a
hole in the console where a PO had placed a manual choke control.

I followed the directions absolutely. Including, to the best of my ability,
seeing that the fast idle cam, operating lever, vacuum thingy, etc. all were
working. I thought the spring a bit weak, but operable, and cleaned the
whole thing with choke cleaner.

Anyway, it's all together, seems to operate as diagrammed, but there's no
discernable affect on the operation of the engine. It cranks forever to
start (like always), and when I pull and push the control, there's no change
in engine operation.

1. Any suggestions? I'm inclined to think I need to order a new autochoke
assembly from Moss...
2. As I said before, I'm absolutely new to car repair.
3. And... are there any books for us completely new folks? I mean, ones that
would tell you things I'm sure all of you know already, like how to get
hoses on and off easier than I just did, what tools to use for what, etc?
(Some of you would have died laughing watching what went on today....)

Thanks much!!

Allen and Marian
Columbus, Ohio
77B, Brooklands Green, "Prolly"
(Which car are you taking? "Prolly" the MG....)