Head advice....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Head advice....
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:36:05 -0800 (PST)
Greetings List!

Today is the first sunny day off for me in literally months so I took
advantage.  I got the TC out, fixed a couple minor problems, checked her
over well and went for a spin to the local gas station.  I added a couple
litres of fuel and topped up the tires then headed out for a little spring
shake down.  Moments later I heard a funny hissing sound from the front
right of the car and the steering went all weird.  Long story short.... Flat
tire, good spare, jack at home in the drive way.  One gets the funniest
looks from the neighbours when walking down suburban streets in oil/grease
stained white coveralls.  Smile, nod and be sure to drive past the same
houses once the TC is mobile again.

Once safely home again I retreated to my shop for a cool, refreshing
beverage and to contemplate the vagaries of MGdom when my eye fell apon a
project I've had stashed for years.  Way back when I "rescued" the head, and
assorted other goodies from a pull handle B just before it, and it's
holey-as-Swiss-cheese block went to the crusher.

My GT has an 18V engine and, though it runs (ran?) very strong I'm wondering
if the 3 main head I have stashed would be a better mate.  Cosmeticly I know
it would, the GT is a `66 after all and has more in common with a `64 than
it does with a `72.  I'm contemplating rebuilding the old head and maybe
doing some minor mod's to improve flow.  The bottom deck on the old head is
in need of a skim too.  What's the consensus on the best route to take?
Will the 18V benefit from a new old head?  Any pitfalls in this? Which way
do I go?

TIA