RE: Head advice....

To: "'Ross MacPherson'" <arm@bc.sympatico.ca>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Head advice....
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:52:59 -0500
Ross wrote:

> My GT has an 18V engine and, though it runs (ran?) very
> strong I'm wondering if the 3 main head I have stashed
> would be a better mate.  Cosmeticly I know it would, the
> GT is a `66 after all and has more in common with a `64
> than it does with a `72.  I'm contemplating rebuilding
> the old head and maybe doing some minor mod's to improve
> flow.  The bottom deck on the old head is in need of a
> skim too.  What's the consensus on the best route to
> take?  Will the 18V benefit from a new old head?  Any
> pitfalls in this? Which way do I go?

The combustion chamber capacity of the 3-main head is 43cc
... while the 18V head is 39cc ... so, fitting the earlier
head will reduce your compression ratio.  Also, the '72
head has larger intake valves than the early head.

Hope this helps ...

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII