Son of a...SU rebuild trouble

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Son of a...SU rebuild trouble
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:19:13 -0500 (EST)
Hello list,

Started to take apart my HS4's last night. These must have been sitting for
a very long time, or were tightened after the last rebuild with a
vengeance, for even though I had soaked all the threaded parts with PB
blaster a few hours before beginning, I've managed to snap off one screw on
each float bowl cover...the covers are off the bowls, but of course the
remains of the screw are still in the threaded part of each float bowl. One
of them is snapped off flush, and I can't see any option but to drill it
out, and the other has enough left to grab onto with vice grips (but it
still wouldn't turn, even after more soaking with PB Blaster, and
reasonable force applied).

Before I jump to drill these out, has anyone had this problem before (Ed?
Lawrie?), and what did you do? Do these respond well to heat? If I do drill
these out, is there enough material left to tap it, or what other options
are left? The small amount of material around the screw makes me nervous,
especially with it being aluminum. Any experience would be appreciated.

Nevin