Depressed GT owner.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Depressed GT owner.
From: jon.arikstad@merkantildata.no
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:47:32 +0100
Some of you may remember this header.
I have now picked up the car from the workshop. !!!!!!!!!!!!! He has been
asking me to do that,for a while, he needed the space.

FULL rebuild of the bottom , the head was done last year, by the PO.
A full rebuild ( bore, new piston&rings, all bearings, the works..) cost
A_LOT in Norway. If you want a professional job, that is. Remember, this
engine was bought as a fully renovatet & blue printed engine, ca 15000 miles
ago.

 That was not without problems, the garage, for my everyday driver, is
actually in a sort of parking house, and I only have space for one car. We
have had a_lot of snow lately, so it is impossible to drive the car, with
the low exhaust, into the garage.  Also the mg has only summer tyres.
So rented an extra garage, 10 minutes walk from home ( or 2 min. drive).
Clever.
But, the garage is 8-10 yards from the road, and the owner of the garage is
a woman, and the snow has never been taken away, , and there has been a_lot
of snow lately, and the snow melts on the sun, and it freezes during the
nigh, and is now rock hard,so I will now need dynamite to remove it.I hope i
will  be able to use the garage in may, I hope.

So I was able to borrow another garage, in Oslo. !
 OK

So, I have had the pleasure(?) of driving it 2 miles, in city trafic. Not
very fun,
Remember don't rev, remember no power-brakes, remember manual gearbox.

The car felt very dead, no rev, pulled OK with from low rev. I guess I will
drive it for ca 300 miles (500Kilometer), and then change oil & filter. Then
a few more miles, and then a setup on a rolling road, sometime this summer.
It has a Weber, K/N filter, new larger, and better manifold and exhaust
system. And a fast road cam. Should be possible to get some extra BHP out of
it.
OK
I need a new tachometre, the old is not working
Oil preasure/water temp gauge is not working properly either. Goes to ca 60,
then stays. The oil pump is new. I will first try to change the oil pipe
between the gauge and the engine. Water pump is noisy. The rear window are
not installed properly. Light surface rust ( I HOPE) on the floors. Rear
hubs/wire weels need to be changed. New spare tire needed
Jon Arikstad

New tiles on the bathroom,
Lotsof work on THE MGB
Spring, means garden work