re:Suprise guest

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:Suprise guest
From: "Cordell, Ralph Ph.D." <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:24:37 -0500
It sounds a bit more like a rodent problem ("black fuzzy stuff") than a
possum infestation (mostly gray or white).  Be sure to wear gloves and wash
your hands after handling rodent nests or materials contaminated with rodent
urine or droppings.

A good way to get rid of an opossum is to quickly clamp a jumper cable onto
their foot, tail or nearest appendage.  You can then haul them out of
whatever hole like a fish on a line.  The cable needn't be hooked up to any
power supply - you are just using the clamp.  I have used this technique to
pull opossums out of treeholes.  I suppose I should recommend checking with
the local humane society or department of conservation regarding disposal of
ol Pogo.  If you let them go - they will come back.  Depending on the
season/laws or one's frame of mind - they are rather good baked.  A bit of
possum trivia - those in the South usually have pointy tails while those in
the North often have blunt tails - reason - Northern possums get the ends of
their tails frozen off.

Ralph Cordell
rzc4@cdc.gov
Hospital Infections Program