ZS carb - can you overfill the dashpot??? 77B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: ZS carb - can you overfill the dashpot??? 77B
From: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:00:27 -0800 (PST)
Listers,

Well, the ignition is working on my B now after that Pertronix
ignition install, but something strange happened yesterday (at least I
thought it was strange). I was going to go for a long drive so I went
through the routine and checked the fluids.  As usual, I had to put
some oil in the dashpot of the ZS carb.  I've read, "Those Damn Zenith
Strombergs" probably 2 dozen times and he says not to worry about over
filling the dashpot with oil.  I have to fill mine up fairly often.
Just haven't gotten around to fixing that o-ring.

Anyway, I accidently put in too much and it took some force to get the
dashpot back in.....I think I shoved too hard.  At that point, the car
would not start, it would just crank.  I thought my ignition was just
screwed up again.  Howvever, I just unscrewed the dashpot, which
relieved some pressure and the car fired right up.

Any thoughts on this???  From now on, I'll be more careful.

Regards,
Tom
77B (with new ignition system)