Re: Engine/Gearbox Mating--Aaarrrggghhh!

To: "Warren Pruitt" <warren_p@ls3p.com>
Subject: Re: Engine/Gearbox Mating--Aaarrrggghhh!
From: john fagerlund <johnf@ihot.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 05:16:12 -0800
Warren,

Do you have a tranny jack.  They are low profile and allow for an easier,
and less frustrating mating experience.  I've used them in the past,
without trying to hold the weight of the tranny and align at the same time
is a big help.  If you have a hydraulic floor jack, you could raise the
height of the engine with blocks then place the tranny on the jack and
adjust up and down as required.    I use an old input shaft for the clutch
alignment as well.  Insert, align and tighten, et voila.

My usual tranny inserting position is on my back, lifting the tranny with
forearms and feet then gently sliding and twisting until mate complete.
It's quite comical I've been told.  The engine was in the car when I was
doing that though.  Last tranny mate, I was on the verge of wrench tossing.
 I put my tools away and went at it again in the morning.  Slid right
together, clunk.

Hasta luego y buena suerte compadre,

John Fagerlund
'65 B slowly getting what she needs