Re: '75B leaf springs

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '75B leaf springs
From: John Trindle <johnt@tsquare.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:49:10 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, John Steczkowski wrote:

>  I just put the Moss lowered leaf springs and coils on my RBB. The front is
> lowered a nice amount (looks like the tires fill the wells nicely, but not
> overly low). The problem is that the rear sits at about the same height as
> it did with the origianl springs (I'm going to give it a few weeks to settle
> before I do anything) and I'd like to get it a little lower. Can I lower it
> by an inch or so by removing one of the small leafs ? How hard is it to
> compress the leafs back on the bolt once I loosen it?
> Will removing one of the small leafs lower the car a drastic amount? (I'd
> like it an inch lower or so and if the springs sag, I can always put the
> leaf back in.)

Lowering *blocks* are available, and do the job (about 1").  They are very
easy to install and make the change reversible.  I did mine in the parking
lot.

Note: the car is now too low <g>.  But the blocks are designed for rubber
bumper cars, not the 73 MGB.  I'm seriously considering taking them off
because the #$&#$ "homeowners' association decided speed bumps were a Good
Thing.

The front has 2" lowered coil springs and looks marvelous, but clearance
is nil between pavement and exhaust.  I didn't notice a significant
handling improvement *except* on the autocross course.

I ordered the blocks through Seven Enterprises, after trying a lot of
other options at the local chain parts stores.  None of those blocks fit
properly.

--
John M. Trindle | johnt@tsquare.com    | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire H Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock