Re: craftsman vs. metrinch

To: "Nory P" <nory_midget@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: craftsman vs. metrinch
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:26:07 -0500
Nory writes:

>BTW, I'm still using Craftsman wrenches that belonged
>to my Dad.  Don't know exactly when he got them, but
>he's been gone over 20 years, and the wrenches are
>still in good shape.  I guess you can say they've held
>up pretty well.  Even if the quality today isn't what
>it once was, the guarantee still is.  They're still a
>good value for the buck, IMHO.

My tools are a combination of Craftsman, and lots of Husky stuff.  I have no
preference, and they're both of excellent quality.  I got hooked on Husky,
when Sears Hardware didn't have the tool I needed and I got the same tool,
cheaper, at Home Depot (Husky brand).  Has a lifetime guarantee, and last I
checked you could trade in your busted craftsman tool for a new husky
replacement.

That said, I have some old - 45+ years at least - Craftsman whitworth
spanners and sockets.  The spanners are forged aluminum, and are still in
excellent condition.  The sockets are scratched from use, but not rusted and
the chrome still excellent on them.  An older neighbour said he kept these
in his TC back in the early 50s... and I "inherited" them when he cleaned
out his garage last year.

I think for the home mechanic, Craftsman or any of the major tool brands you
find at the hardware stores are acceptable.  Most never see the same kind of
everyday abuse that happens in a shop.

BTW, Metrinch is originally a "TV Brand" now sold everywhere... "as seen on
TV."

--
Kai Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net
1966 MGB -- 1974 Triumph TR6