Freedom of Speech

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Freedom of Speech
From: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 15:09:26 -0600
Now, normally I try not to get involved in spitting contests, but....

>Hey, Mr DEL, you're not in Bosnia here, with your big
>America-rules-the-world attittude and planes...

I could be wrong, but I believe Canada still maintains UN membership.  As
to the rest, it warrants the same attention I'd give a yapping chihuahua.
 I would tend to believe that our erstwhile pundit lacks trigger time.

>It's the internet; you don't own ideas and free-speech.

Again, I could be wrong, but I believe freedom of speech ( in its modern
form as a political right) evolved from Anglo-American influences.  Odd,
isn't it, that one who seems to have such a disposition against those
influences, would claim its protection....

Moving on, I would remind those who speak of freedom of speech that with
right comes responsibility.  Those who would claim that protection must
also recognize that others may consider their speech offensive / asinine
/ foolish; further, they must recognize that opposing parties also have a
right to to voice ideas contrary to their own.

Its a simple concept, but perhaps, after pondering a bit, our friend will
grasp the notion.

Rich