Re: Overdrive

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:40:43 -0800
You didn't mention whether your car already had an overdrive which you
are replacing, or if you are converting. Since my Moss catalog claims
that you have to replace the transmission mainshaft and tailshaft
assembly to add an overdrive unit to a non-OD transmission, I'll assume
that you are just replacing it.

I recall that the manual wanted you to pull the transmission to replace
the overdrive, but I found that wasn't strictly necessary. If you undo
all the connections between the engine /trans unit and the chassis (choke
cable, ground strap, gas line, motor mounts, speedo cable, driveshaft,
etc) as if you were going to pull the engine, then raise the front of the
car on jackstands, support the engine on a floorjack with a large wood
block under the oilpan, and remove the trans crossmember bolts, you can
tilt the assembly up in front, down at the rear, and pull it forward
enough to remove the overdrive from the back of the transmission from
underneath the car. Oh yeah, remember to drain the transmission oil first
into a suitable container (as opposed to your coverall sleeve).

The main things this procedure saves (vs totally removing the
engine/trans) are removing & replacing the bonnet, renting an engine
hoist, and risking damage to your body & paint. You can also do it solo
with practice.

It also occurs to me that you might have been referring to a complete OD
transmission (for $400? that's a bargain, all right...). In that case
it's a straight swap except that you need to wire the dash switch, and
the 4th gear lockout switch on the transmission. See the wiring diagram
for the correct setup.

I found the addition of OD to greatly improve the experience of freeway
driving in my B. Not to mention the gas savings. Good luck!

Christy Stretz had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149