Re: BGT runnin bad kinda long sorry

To: "Derek" <v8man@dwatson.free-online.co.uk>, <Mgbreh@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: BGT runnin bad kinda long sorry
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:13:46 +0100
If the points are open you will see 12v on both terminals of the coil
regardless of whether it is a 6v coil that needs a ballast or not or whether
you have a ballast resistor or not..

If the points are closed you will see 0v on the points terminal of the coil
for all combinations.

With the points closed and a non-ballasted circuit you will see 12v on the
ignition terminal of the coil, regardless of whether it is a 6v coil or a
12v coil.

With the points closed, a ballasted circuit and a 6v coil (which needs a
ballast) you will see about 6v on the ignition side of the coil.

With the points closed, a ballasted circuit and a 12v coil you will see
about 9v on the ignition terminal of the coil.

The only way to check if you have a 6v coil (which needs a ballast) or a 12v
coil on a non-ballasted circuit is to check the part number of the coil or
to measure its resistance - a 12v coil should measure about 3.5 ohms and a
6v coil about 1.5 ohms.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/