Re: New model MG the... truth stranger than fiction

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New model MG the... truth stranger than fiction
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 20:48:58 EST
Hey all-   the original post might have seemed like an obvious joke to you
all, but any Americans that get "AutoCar" know BMW's plans for MG and
America, and truth is stranger than fiction!  Here is, straight from Autocar
Mar 17th issre (newest available in US), (verifiable by British listers),
with no April Fools joke, BMW's plan for MG in America:
Headlines:  "MGB Reborn in BMW Rethink" "Front engined sportster could
replace both MGF and BMW Z3, On Sale in 2003, Priced at $25,000 to undercut
Porche and Mercedes, US targeted with upmarket Healey V8 Roadster...   "
   This is complete with a HIDEOUS mgb replacement picture... not the actual
prototype but an artists interpretation.  A few weeks ago there was a Sprite
replacement picture that looked really cool!
The text:
   "A front engined successor to the MGB and the return of MG-Badged saloons
are key components of owner BMW's aggressive new strategy for the Rover
Group's sporting brand.
<snip>
  "The plans could also spell the demise of the mid-engined MGF-- and maybe
BMW's Z3."
<snip>
  It goes on to say basically that the new MG would be built on a new
platform shared with the Z3, would have a straight six engine, and get this,
it would be built in Spartanburg GA, NOT ENGLAND!  The expect 50,000 cars a
year.  There was a strange message throughout, but not actually stated, that
the Z3 would be discontinued altogether if an MGB came out.
 More from article....
   "If the MG sports cars are to be made in Spartanburg, they could also be
joined by an Austin Healey 3000 sucessor built, like BMW's new Z8, on a
platform derived from the 5-series"  says also the 3000 would be in the
50-70k pound bracket to fill in between the Z3 and the Z8. and be sorta like
a Jag XK8

Also says both the two new Healeys, the sprite and the the 3000, and the MG
would be sold in the US.

 "There is also a stong possibility that BMW would support the "MGB" roadster
with an MG-Badged saloon in the tradition of the MG Montego."

Americans not familiar with the Montego think:  "MG 3-Series"  The Montego
was no three series from what I hear but that was the intention.  This car
would likely be built in Longbridge because thats were the new 200/400 is
going to be built, as announced yesterday.  If not, this new MG is coming
from HUNGARY!  Thats no april fools joke either, as others can confirm.
Longbridge might not build the 200/400 BMW has threatened lately, as it will
be MAYBE built in Hungary.

  So, all we need to do is make a Midget version of the Sprite, build this
Z3-based MGB, call a Rover 55 (400) a Magnette, call the Rover 75 a Magna,
and sure enough you've got MG's entire 1962 model line up back in production!

  So what you think, should we model the MG saloons after the Z-Magnette or
the Farina Magnettes?

  I got a Farina so you know where my vote is!

     John

I repeat, this is NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE... Read it for yourself.  Autocar
Mar 17.