73B M/C Removal, left/rear engine bay corner fixup

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 73B M/C Removal, left/rear engine bay corner fixup
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 17:07:20 -0600
All you folks who pulled the brake M/C without removing the clutch M/C...I'd
sure like to know HOW! I got going and I'm going to yank the whole assembly
and hopefully not do it again. (knock wood)
Maybe my 73 is different from the cars of those who responded, but I just
spent a couple of hours trying to get the thing out. The big obstacle is the
housing that the two cylinders are bolted to -- the cylinders won't come out
without this housing being loose. Now everything is loose but the two nuts
that fasten the housing to the firewall! Aarggh!
Maybe these two nuts are the infamous Whitworth type (this is a pretty
original car, mind you, which is good and bad for me), because 1/2" is too
small, 9/16" is too big, and 13mm and 14mm don't fit either! Those fasteners
at the bottom of the cylinders aren't easy to get at, either. All in good
fun though...I like a challenge.

I'm learning from my previous mistakes...now that the Clutch M/C is out (or
almost), I might as well have it rebuilt. I don't want to go through this
again. If anyone remembers, all this started when I decided to change the
differential oil, crimped a brake line and oh...never mind. Long story, but
the domino theory fits in my instance.
Any tips on a good paint-like substance that resists brake fluid with which
I can coat this particular corner of the engine bay? It's a mess right now,
"originality" isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

Dan
73 B