Re: Breakdown Breakthrough (too long)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Breakdown Breakthrough (too long)
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 23:45:17 +0000
John Roper wrote:

> Agreed.  that's what really impressed me.
>
> Larry Hoy wrote:
>

> > That's got to be worth more than ten points, I've never even heard
> > of a 12V soldering iron.

Thanks John and Larry,

I just wanted to follow my "pat-myself-on-the-back" story up with
another that demonstrates all the old sayings about learning from your
mistakes.  Before I took a certain long (1500 mile) drive recently I
asked this list about things I should pack for safety and for running
repairs - I took most of the offered advice and feel really well
prepared, even if just on my regular city/suburban driving.  The
soldering iron wasn't mentioned but came about when I had a headlight
switch 'collapse' on me at an inopportune moment.  I had called for
roadside assistance who then simply suggested the obvious... to twist
the wires together to activate the headlights to get me home.

This got me thinking about broken wires and wiring and how I would
prefer crimping or soldering to 'twisted together wires'... so I now
carry crimp terminals and a twelve volt soldering iron (little space
taken up with these) and a couple of cheap $5 switches.  Boy am I glad I
do.

I have a further examples, but it all goes to prove how eventually there
may not be a time when I will need to call for help at all... if there
is, then my next acquisition could well be a mechanics' course :-)  The
other moral here is "JUST DO IT"... get the item you need to do the job
properly once you have found it useful.  The problem may not ever happen
again, or it could happen again tomorrow.

Eric
'68MGB MkII