Re: A tip - advance your timing!

To: Karl Shultz <karl.shultz@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: A tip - advance your timing!
From: John Trindle <johnt@tsquare.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 08:42:48 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Karl Shultz wrote:

> Advance your timing!  Same trick I used on the Integra.  It idles well,
> and I don't have any knocking.  Throttle response is much better too.
> All I did was advance it until the car started idling funny, then backed
> it off a bit.  Nothing scientific.  no knocking in tall gears up hill
> either, so that's good.
>
> Anyhow, this is a simple trick that has helped me; those new to MGs
> (like me) may benefit by doing this.

I don't know about you, but I have a very hard time hearing pings in the
B...  at least compared with the Spitfire.  I did use the technique you
suggest for a long time, but am going to hold off on *this* engine-rebuild
iteration.  I think my hyperadvanced timing has contributed to piston ring
and holing problems... I don't know about the distorted rod and spun
bearings, but it's possible.

The Integra GS-R has a knock sensor, so the computer will retard the
timing if it's overadvanced and knocks.  The MGB relies on you to do that
for it.

If your timing marks are way off, and you just want to get the thing on
the road, your technique works OK...  but please, leave the vacuum advance
connected while doing it.  If you do this without the vacuum advance
operating, you can be 10-15 degrees overadvanced very easily.

You can drown out pings with a richer mixture, within 'reason', but that
causes other effects, of course.

Oh, you could raise the octane level, of course.  But if you have a low
compression engine you may actually get *less* power out of overadvance
and overoctane.  High octane gas actually has less energy content than
lower octane, at the same compression ratio.

Next tankful I'm reducing from premium to plus, since I can't imagine
really needing 93 octane in an 8:1 engine.

It (advance) does wake up the throttle response, though, doesn't it?

--
John M. Trindle | johnt@tsquare.com    | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire H Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock