Re: THE source of all oil problems

To: MSLishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: THE source of all oil problems
From: John Trindle <johnt@tsquare.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 08:50:19 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, MSLishego wrote:

> found that cylinders 1 & 3 were not getting fuel.  After some playing,
> I found my choke idle screw on carb one to be almost entirely off the
> carb!  Some playing and cursing fixed that!

Does it have a spring on it?  Adjustment screws usually do, on SUs.  The
silly things will back out without that or a thread-locking liquid... and
that's just not as convenient.

(It's because the screws aren't torqued up (stretched) as I'm sure you
figured out)

> 'line' of oil drips from the crossmember.
>       With all good intentions, I'm going to try to fix this problem
> tomorrow.  Even if I cut my oil consumption in half, I'll be happy.
> Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to replace the seals that are under
> the timing cover with the engine in the car?  I'd sure hate to have to
> shelf the MGB early because I couldn't afford the oil bills!

In theory... you can loosen up the motor mounts and jack up the engine
enough to clear the steering rack.. and taking out the radiator will leave
a lot more room to work.

I've done timing chain replacement in the car so I guess I have done this
before.  (Memory is the last thing to go)

If you're just talking about the gasket around the outside youmight not
have to take off the crankshaft pully.  But if it were me I'd end up
spending 3 hours trying to put it on the "shortcut" way, and then finally
have to do it the straightforward way.

--
John M. Trindle | johnt@tsquare.com    | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire H Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock