Oil leaks...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil leaks...
From: "Dennis Berman" <dberman@nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 13:10:50 -0500
(Sorry if this gets posted twice... DAMN Exchange!)

Members,

Well, I've spent the better part of my Wife's time
trying to tackle all those oil leaks from my '77 MGB.
Her money, too.  :^)

While I have made GREAT progress (I can now clean the
oil drip pan with a paper towel), there still exists
three (maybe four) very minor leaks left. I'd like to
ask a few easy questions and ALL insight is greatly
appreciated!

First:
------
   Drop a day from where the tranny meets the block.
   I'll do this one when I need to rebuild. Not just
   yet, 'cause she's running near flawlessly now.
   I figure another 75K...

Second:
-------
   About a drop a day. Oil leak appears to originate
   from the oil pan gasket. I've already ordered the
   replacement.

   Question:
   It looks VERY easy to just simply remove the oil
   pan, clean it up, and install a new gasket. I did
   notice that there are a few bolts that are located
   above the suspension, these might be tricky to get
   off (like the wife).

   Do I have to do anything special to remove these
   bolts, or is this job as easy as it appears to be?

Third:
------
   About a drop a day from (what appears to be) the
   timing chain cover. I'll remove that black protector
   under the fan blade and have a closer look.

   Question:
   I've never removed the timing chain cover. Has any-
   one tackled this? (okay, that was a dumb question)
   Those of you who have, how easy is it, how much
   time should I allocate, and will I need any special
   tools to replace this gasket and oil seal?

   Also, any tricks of the trade I might like to know?

Forth:
------
   No worries here, a drop a week from some sort of
   blank cover on the block. I can do this one with-
   out any assist! (Maybe I shouldn't have said that)

Thanks way in advance.
Without this list, I'd be really screwed... and all alone.

--
Regards,

Dennis Berman
dberman@nortelnetworks.com