Tales of Woe

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tales of Woe
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:29:56 -0400
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com

>I saw in yesterdays digest two tales of woe concerning foreign objects
>rattling around in the top end or blocking the intake...<<snip>>

' Bought a parts car a few years ago for $200 because it had an overdrive
tranny.  PO quit driving because engine developed a knock.  After I pulled
engine and tranny, I had occasion to put the 1-5/16" socket on the pulley
bolt and turn her over.  Well she'd turn 359+ degrees in either direction
before hitting a stop.  ' Pulled the head, and found... a 3/4" #10 screw
embedded in #4 piston.  I pried it loose.  There appeared to be little
other damage - nothing to the cylinder walls - I'm sure it would run about
as well as previously if I put it back together... which I wouldn't - '
don't need to foist a dubious engine on myself or anybody else.

 '  Point is - a whole car got junked due to an errant #10 screw!

Allen

*    Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<         *
*    Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs *
*    New Castle, VA 24127                       *
*    USA                                        *
*    540/544-7333                               *