RE: Original Equipment Radios NOW Requirement to Post to List

To: "'Ross MacPherson'" <arm@bc.sympatico.ca>
Subject: RE: Original Equipment Radios NOW Requirement to Post to List
From: "Feldman, Jack (Jack)" <jack@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 05:51:09 -0500
Ross,

Automobile FM adapters were big when FM was first introduced into cars. They
consist of a small (depending on where on the technology curve they were
built) box with an FM dial and tuning knob. Mine is about 3/4"X4 X 4. There
is also an on off switch. It usually has one lead for the power (fused of
course). It also has a Motorola jack and antenna cable coming out of it. I
was surprised to find one so small. Early on I had one made by Motorola and
it was almost as big as the radio.

You fasten it wherever you can so you can get to the controls, mine is under
the AM radio. Then the antenna is plugged into the jack and the antenna lead
coming out of the adapter goes into the radio's antenna jack. When you turn
it on the antennas are switched so that the RF output of the adapter goes
into the antenna jack of the radio. You have a frequency adjustment so that
the AM radio picks up a clear frequency, but the adapter really blocks all
other RF input. You then turn the AM radio to the output of the adapter,
turn on the adapter, and tune the adapter to whatever station you want, and
there it is. I have never seen one with positive ground. If you find one
perhaps the Whitney device could be used.

No idea about the "D", perhaps someone on the list could help. Most
stateside (there is an ethno centric phrase for you) foreign car radios with
positive ground had a switch  or jumpers which allowed a choice between + or
- ground installation if you plan to change the car's polarity.

I do love radios and my LBCs. I can use my 2 meter rig in the cars now, and
hope to get the High Frequency rig installed into the Healey. May have to go
to an alternator to do that.

Jack

        <Gentle comment about my previously flamed message deleted.>