Re: The shakes (77B)

To: mowog77@theglobe.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The shakes (77B)
From: H4aardvrk@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:24:43 EDT
mowog77@theglobe.com writes:

<< Strange part is that it isn't a consistent shake - sometimes its not so
bad and othe times it is bad.

 I would like to balance the wheels, but lately I have been thinking it may
be suspension or motor vibration.

 any ideas and tips much appreciated,

 erik.

 P.S. - The Home page is not correct, I wish I was 21!!

 "Free web-based email available now at http://www.theglobe.com";

Eric,
    My wifes' 1977 B roadster with wire wheels shook as you described yours.I
finally got out to look at it(i was kinda tired of the report every time she
came back with the 1977..hehe). I found two items of interest that explained
her shaking B.
1)  The front shocks were dry..I refilled them with oil..it leaked out..call
Moss and order new shocks and shock rebuild kits...that problem fixed.
2) I noticed that on her B, the left hand motor mount was soft and dead.
replace the motor mount..BUT..while i was checking the motormount, i noticed
that the two packing washers that fit between the engine and motor mount were
missing..This allowed the Catlytic converter to contact the steering shaft a
bit..When the engine was running there was some vibration comming into the
steering shaft and then to the steering rack and then to the wheels via the
control arms..This vibration was enough to upset the steerring and make the
car shakeFrom Time to Time..I fixed the motormount and the shake went away..
As for the "balancing act"...You have to find a shop that is set up for
wires..a standard balancer will not spin the tyre-wheel assy.properly.  I
found an old style static bubble balancer.It does the job just fine..and i
don't have 5 pounds of lead all over the rim any more..:-).
yours,H4(Howard)