RE: Oil smells like gas

To: "Postmaster" <elwell@hctc.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil smells like gas
From: Joe Short <buster_balz@operamail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:37:34 -0400
Sounds like the engine is running very rich. The gas is washing past the rings
and into the oil. This is not good because it will also rinse the oil off of
the cylinder walls, which leads to excessive wear. And it is building carbon
in the combustion chamber which will lead to detonation. Readjust the carbs,
they need to be leaned out. If the car won't run any leaner, look for a vacuum
leak.
It is common for someone to try to compensate for a vacuum leak by running
an excessivelt lean mixture.