Re: Transmission Clunk -Reply

To: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu, stargazer1@home.com
Subject: Re: Transmission Clunk -Reply
From: "Gary Davis" <6GPRO.GDAVIS@ibr6gw82.gp.usbr.gov>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:15:33 -0600
If the driveshaft is loose, what should be done to correct it?

Gary Davis

Bill Saidel wrote:

> The orangish devil ('76B) came out of hibernation yesterday for the
>  first time since
> the end of November. Over the winter, I did my 1st mechanical repair: water
> pump, successfully. On its (and my) rejuvenation spin, I noticed
> an obvious clunk each
> time I shifted a gear (standard transmission, no o/d), but I did not feel a
> jerk in the movement of the car. The noise was a single clunk, not
> repetitive. And, it was mostly, but not completely, absent last fall.
>         My ignorance says to me, "I don't know what to think."  I've read
> about u-joint noise, but the noise was coming from below and to the right of
> me in the driver's seat, not from behind.

        I'd check the transmission mounts first. If they look as if they were
made by Salvidor Dali, they're dead and need replacing. For some reason,
leaking oil just liquifies the rubber in those tranny mounts.

        While you're under there, you can also check the drive shaft and
U-joints. There should be no play in either one.

        Good Luck,
        Dave Ambrose