Re: Valve Adjustment 2

To: "Michael Graziano" <mgrazian@ltcm.com>,
Subject: Re: Valve Adjustment 2
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:41:23 -0700
I concur with the suggestion that it's a vacuum leak or possibly
carburetion (not a valve problem). Agree compression sounds OK. But what
vehicle is this, anyway? An MGB should have a valve clearance of .014...

Michael Graziano had this to say:

>Oh yeah.  At idle, (1k rpm) the engine is stumbling a little.  Not stalling,
>just running a little rough.  And when you goose it quick,  there's a slight
>hesitation and a cough (though the carb, that's when I scared myself).  The
>plugs are clean (no oil, and no black sooty stuff, in fact, they were a
>little white the last few times I pulled them).  ANd my compression is OK.
>All within 5 except one within 10 psi (approx. 125 to 135).
>
>Could a valve be burnt?  And maybe I'm still testing for intake manifold
>leaks incorrectly.  What is a tried and true procedure that some of you
>folks have tried?

[snip]
>I checked and readjusted the valves this weekend.  A few questions arose.  I
>think the valve gaps were in OK shape.  They were supposed to be set at
>0.010 inches.  I found some that were as far open as 0.013.  Does that make
>a significant difference?  Is it OK to reuse the gasket as it was in good
>shape,  and I used some permatex black gasket glue to help with the seal.  I
>have a new one that I bought for the job, but misplaced it.
>
>Also,  the intake was still backfiring.  I rechecked for leaks on the intake
>manifold.  Nothing found (doesn't mean nothing there).  I enrichened the
>mixture a little.  Now the exhaust smells a little like gas, and it still
>backfires throught the carb.  Nearly scared the S#$% out of me when I had my
>hand outside the carb barrel and it backfired.
>
>I've got the timing at 10BTDC, from Bentley's and Haynes.  Should I advance
>it more or less as the next test (or should I test something else first).
>And if I advance it,  is that more towards 12BTDC or 8BTDC.

Advance would be toward 12BTDC...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149