OUCH!

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: OUCH!
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:44:17 -0500
I did something monumentally stupid this morning and hurt my Midget. I was
backing out of the garage, heading for work and my door wasn't closed all
the way. (Oooops - You can see this coming can't you?) As I'm backing out,
the trailing edge of the door catches the top of a cardboard box (auto
parts) and flips open. AAACK! I slam on the brakes, but not in time. The
door catches the side of the garage and is forced open to about 90 degrees.
The leading edge of the door puts a light crease in the side of the scuttle
and damages the chrome strip. If the box hadn't been there I think I would
have nailed the edge of the door against the garage which would have been
much worse.

Now the sheetmetal is very slightly bent out at the trailing edge of the
scuttle, near the top, and the door seems to have moved backwards a bit.
The aluminum cockpit surround (this is a sidescreen car) now just touches
the rear of the door opening (and scratches the paint)  when I close the
door, but the shut line looks perfect. I have to try to push it forward a
bit without doing further damage, I guess. How hard is it to adjust the
doors? I hope I didn't bend a hinge. One of the guys in the local MG club
is a really good body man, I'll have to swing by his work on the way home
and see what he has to say.

It's not like my car is particularly pretty but the body is in good shape
and it really gets me to know that I did this myself.

Phil Vanner
Mk1 Midget